North Sikkim Road Trip
Trip Dates : 2 to 9 November
16 to 23 November
Trip Price: Rs 25000/- including GST
Arrive at Bagdogra airport and we will pick you up. The drive from there to Gangtok is roughly 4 hrs. Upon arrival you will check into Tagalong Backpackers and spend the day in Gangtok.
Early in the morning we will drive to Lachung (9,600 ft.), which is the base for visiting Yumthang Valley. Lachung means ‘small pass’, and the town shares its border with Tibet. We will spend the day exploring the town.
Distance: 103 km
Time: 5-6 hrs
After breakfast, we will head to Yumthang valley. The valley is home to the Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary and one can find more than twenty species of rhododendron here. We will drive further to Yumesamdong, an hour away from Yumthang. It is also commonly known as Zero Point because there is no motorable road beyond this point. On the other side of the mountain lies the Autonomous Region of Tibet. We will spend the night back in Lachung.
Distance: 102 km
Time: Full Day
After breakfast, we will check out from the hotel and drive to Lachen, located at an altitude of 2,750 metres. The village is set against a towering mountain backdrop and serves as the base camp for trekkers going to Green Lake. We will stay in a hotel in Lachen, and spend the day exploring the beautiful Lachen Monastery.
Distance: 47 km
Time: 3 hrs
We will leave Lachen for Gurudongmar lake early in the morning. Our first break will be at Thangu. It is a high altitude village, home to nomadic yak herders. If weather permits, we will continue further to Gurudongmar Lake via Chopta Valley. Gurudongmar Lake, located at an altitude of 5,430 m is one of the highest lakes in India. The lake is named after Guru Padmasambhava and it remains frozen during the winter months. On the way back, we will stop near Chopta valley and enjoy a short hike to Thangu. After a hot lunch at Thangu, we will drive back to Lachen.
Distance: 133 km
Time: 5-6 hrs
We will check out from the hotel in Lachen and drive back to Gangtok. The evening will be spent unwinding at a local cafe and visiting one of the many pubs across the town of Gangtok.
Distance: 120 kms
Time: 5-6 hrs
Spend the day exploring the sights around Gangtok; like Rumtek monastery, Namgyal Institute of Tibetology and more; or take the day exploring the buzzing market in Gangtok. The adventurous soul can go for paragliding nearby.
/Additional activities or sightseeing can be done at your own expense/
We will drive you back to Bagdogra airport from Gangtok.
• Please carry all personal medication (if any)
• Permits for travelling to all the areas mentioned are inclusive
• Trip does not include any cost arisen due to any unforeseen circumstances such as natural disaster like landslides, roadblocks, etc
• Cost of meals for the final day in Gangtok is not included. Other than that all meals are covered. Cost does not include cost of snacks consumed during the trip
• We are not trekking on this trip. We will drive all the way to Gurudongmar Lake and we are not going to the Green Lake since we need special permits from the home ministry to reach there
• We will stay at homestays run by locals and the rooms will be on twin sharing basis. You'll be allotted a room according to your comfort
• Try reaching Bagdogra by 2 pm on the 25th since we have a long drive to Gangtok after that. If you reach early we will wait at the airport with other travellers till the last one arrives, which won't be post 2 pm
Click here to read reviews from our guests.