Kinnaur Spiti Road Trip
Trip Dates : 28th Sept to 5th Oct / 9 seats left
12th to 19th October / 9n seats left
Trip price - Rs.25,000 (inclusive of GST)
We are starting this travel season with our tried and tested Kinnaur-Spiti road trip. On this circuit, every pitstop is special. Drive through the apple orchards in Kalpa, watch the starry night from the helipad in Nako, witness the landscape change to a snow desert at Tabo and Kaza. Visit your bucket list destinations like Pin Valley, Dhankar, Lhalung, Kee, Kibber, Gette, Komic, and Hikkim.
This adventure is different. You will find yourself gazing at the mummy at Gyu, finding fossils in Langza and exploring ancient murals on the walls of Tabo Monastery. Are you joining us?
Arrive at Shimla (2,276m) in the wee hours of the morning. We will pick you up and, following the course of the Sutlej river, head straight to Kalpa (2,960m), a tiny village set in the backdrop of the Kinnaur-Kailash range. The drive from Shimla to Kalpa is a long one; but the transformation in terms of landscape and weather will make your jaw drop. We will have breakfast and lunch on the way. We will have dinner at our guest house in Kalpa.
Distance : 225 kms
After breakfast, we will go on a short drive till the famous Roghi Suicide Point. We will begin our long journey to the heart of Spiti by heading to Nako (3,662m), the last village in the Kinnaur district. Dinner will be served at the guest house there. Post dinner, once it’s gotten dark, we will go on a short walk to the helipad to gaze at the Milky Way which is clearly visible from the village.
Distance : 100 kms
We will have breakfast at the guest house, after which we will go on a walk through Nako village and to Nako Lake. Post lunch we will drive to see the mummy of Sangha Tenzin in Gyu (3,600m). The mummy of Sangha Tenzin was discovered in 2004 by the ITBP, and is now on display at a temple in the village. After this, we will head to the town of Kaza (3,800m), the district headquarters of Spiti District. We will spend the evening exploring Kaza. Dinner will be served at our guest house in Kaza.
Distance : 130 kms
After an early morning breakfast in Kaza, we will set off for a full day road trip. We will drive to the high altitude villages of Langza (4,340m), Hikkim (4,450m), and Komic (4,587m) first. Post lunch at Komic, we will visit Kee Monastery (4,166m), then head straight to Chicham (4,145m) where the highest suspension bridge in Asia is located. We will stop at Kibber (4,270m) and Gette (4,400m) on the way back. Dinner will be served at our guest house in Kaza.
Distance : 106 kms
Post breakfast, we will start our drive to Tabo (3,280m). We will make three detours/stops on the way; to Mud (3,850m) in Pin Valley, Lhalung Monastery (3,658m), and Dhankar Monastery (3,894m). Lhalung and Dhankar are home to two of the oldest monasteries in India. We will have lunch at Dhankar, and then head to Tabo. In the evening we will go on a short hike to the Tabo caves. Post dinner at our homestay, we will take a walk to the helipad to view the crazy night sky.
Distance : 151 kms
Tabo is nestled in a valley with a 360 degree view of the mountains around us. Post breakfast, we will visit the old monastery of Tabo. This is the oldest monastery in Spiti Valley, dating back 1020 years or so. The paintings and sculptures inside the monastery are gorgeous and very well preserved. We will make our way back to Kalpa, with a stopover at Nako for lunch. After reaching Kalpa we will go on a walk through Kalpa village. Kalpa has a monastery, and two lovely temples. Dinner will be at our guest house in Kalpa.
Distance : 150 kms
Post breakfast we will drive back to Shimla, stopping on the way for lunch. Dinner will be at a restaurant in Shimla.
Distance : 225 kms
This is a free day. You are welcome to explore the erstwhile British summer capital of Shimla at your own leisure.
• Cost of bus from Delhi to Shimla, and Shimla to Delhi is not inclusive.
• Please reach Shimla by 7am on the first day of the trip. We will be starting our drive to Kalpa by 7:30-8am. Your bus to Shimla should depart from Delhi by 8pm on the night before.
• Your return bus from Shimla to Delhi can depart anytime on the last day. If you want to spend another night in Shimla, you are most welcome to do so at your own cost.
• Cost of three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) are inclusive. Cost of meals are not covered on the last day in Shimla. Cost of alcohol is not inclusive.
• Food is available for the trip based on preference of vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
• You will be travelling in a group of 9 people. Mode of transport during this road trip is an 11-seater tempo-traveller.
• We will stay at guest houses and homestays run by locals, and the rooms will be on twin sharing basis. You'll be allotted a room according to your comfort.
• Please carry all personal medication (if any).
• Trip does not include any cost arisen due to any unforeseen circumstances such as natural disaster like landslides, roadblocks, etc.
Click here to read reviews from our guests.