Kinnaur-Spiti Road Trip
Trip Dates: 11 to 18 August
19 to 26 August
Trip Price: Rs 25000/- including GST
Arrive at Shimla (2,276m) in the wee hours of the morning. We will pick you up and, following the course of the Sutlej river, head straight to Chitkul (3,450m), the last village on the Indo-China border. The drive from Shimla to Chitkul is a long one; but the transformation in terms of landscape and weather will make your jaw drop. We will have breakfast and lunch on the way. After checking in to your hostel, we will have dinner and enjoy the glorious view of the Kinnaur-Kailash range.
Distance : 242 kms
After breakfast, we will go on a short hike down to and across the Baspa river that flows through Chitkul. We will also go uphill to the meadows where the shepherds take their cattle. Post lunch, we will drive to the village of Kalpa (2,960m). We will have dinner at our homestay.
Distance : 62 kms
After breakfast, we will go on a walk through Kalpa village. Kalpa has a monastery, two lovely temples, and offers glorious views of the Kinnaur-Kailash range. We will also go on a short drive till Roghi village. After lunch we will head to Nako (3,662m), the last village in the Kinnaur district. Dinner will be served at the guest house there.
Distance : 100 kms
We will have breakfast at the guest house, after which we will go on a walk through Nako village and to Nako Lake. Post lunch we will drive to see the mummy of Sangha Tenzin in Gyu (3,600m). The mummy of Sangha Tenzin was discovered in 2004 by the ITBP, and is now on display at a temple in the village. After this, we will head to the town of Tabo (3,280m), nestled in a valley with a 360 degree view of the mountains around us. Dinner will be served at our guest house. Post dinner, once it’s gotten dark, we will go on a short walk to the helipad to gaze at the milky way which is clearly visible from the village.
Distance : 82 kms
Post breakfast, we will visit the old monastery of Tabo. The paintings and sculptures inside the monastery are over a thousand years old. We will also go on a short hike to the Tabo caves. One can see a panoramic view of the entire town of Tabo from these caves. We will have lunch, and then set off for Kaza. On the way to Kaza, we will make a stop at Dhankar (3,894m) and visit the historic monastery there as well. Dinner will be served at our guest house in Kaza (3,800m).
Distance : 65 kms
After an early morning breakfast in Kaza, we will set off for a full day trip. First we will visit Kee Monastery (4,166m), then head straight to Chicham (4,145m) where the highest suspension bridge in Asia is located. We will stop at Kibber (4,270m) for lunch. Post lunch, we will drive to the high altitude villages of Langza (4,340m), Hikkim (4,450m), and Komic (4,587m). We will return to Kaza for dinner and staythe night there at our guest house.
Distance - 90 kms
This day is the big day. We will leave Kaza very early in the morning, stop in the village of Losar for breakfast, and then head to Chandra Taal. At an altitude of 4,300 metres, this crescent shaped lake is situated in the lap of the Himalayas. After visiting Chandra Taal, we will stop at Chhatru for lunch and then head straight to Manali. Dinner will be at our guest house in Manali.
Distance - 230 kms
Post breakfast, we will go for a short walk through the forest reserve and make our way up to Old Manali. You are also free to roam the mall road at your own leisure on this day. Lunch will be had at a local restaurant in Old Manali.
Buses will depart for Delhi on the evening of this day.
• Cost of bus from Delhi to Shimla, and Manali to Delhi is not inclusive.
• We can help you book suitable buses. We can also book your tickets from Delhi to Shimla and Manali to Delhi on an AC Volvo bus for a total price of Rs.3,000.
• Please reach Shimla by 7am on the arrival day. We will be starting our drive to Chitkul by 8am.
• Your bus to Shimla should depart from Delhi by 8pm the day before the start date.
• Your return bus from Manali to Delhi can depart anytime post 4pm on the final day.
• Cost of all meals between the mentioned dates are inclusive. Cost of alcohol is not inclusive.
• Food is available for the trip based on preference of vegetarian or non-vegetarian.
• You will be travelling in a group of 8 people. Mode of transport during this road trip is an 11-seater tempo-traveller.
• We will stay at guest houses and homestays run by locals, and the rooms will be on twin sharing basis. You'll be allotted a room according to your comfort.
• Please carry all personal medication (if any).
• Trip does not include any cost arisen due to any unforeseen circumstances such as natural disaster like landslides, roadblocks, etc.
Click here to read reviews from our guests.